Welcome to Swifts class
Mrs Isley and Mrs Davis welcome you to our class.
We hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas break and are ready to learn online! We are so proud with how hard you worked all throughout last term, and we hope you work just as hard this term.
Home Learning Update:
We will be working remotely online until at least February half-term, as per the government guidelines.
Our Zoom lessons each day will be:
9:00am - Zoom lesson (English or Maths)
2:30pm - Zoom storytime
Each day you will have English and Maths work set, either on SeeSaw or Purple Mash, so check each morning for any new work.
You will also have pre-recorded History or Geography, Science, PSHE and RE lessons every week, which will be uploaded onto SeeSaw and work will be set on SeeSaw or Purple Mash.
Work will also be uploaded here in the relevant subject sections. We have also included links to websites which we think will really help you and your families during this time. Please check your class page daily for any updates.
Home learning packs will be ready to collect from school, please contact the office.
We hope to see you virtually on Zoom and we are looking forward to seeing and reading all of your hard work.
Recommended Daily Activities at Home:
- Read a variety of books every day either by yourself, reading to someone or listening someone else read to you. If you do not have many books at home, please use MyOn (log-in details have been sent home). Oxford Owl also have a free e-book library here: https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page
- Practise phonics using your home learning pack. There are also lots of phonics games on Purple Mash for you to discover. Past spelling sheets from this term can also be found below in the English section. Phonics Play (https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/) is a great website to play lots of phonics game. Use the username: jan21 and password: home to login.
- Practise your number bonds to 10, 20 and 100. Activity sheets can be found below in the Maths section.
- Practise your 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables. Activity sheets can be found below in the Maths section.
Please also try to stay active whilst you are at home!
- Joe Wicks will be starting his home PE lessons again, starting on Monday 11th January every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. His YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1
- Cosmic Kids Yoga is also a great YouTube channel, with lots of at home yoga and meditation workouts specially created for children: https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Some other activities are linked below:
Please find below the spellings for this half term:
Spring Term 1
For the first part of this half term we will be focusing on the story, Emma Jane's Aeroplane by Katie Haworth. We have lots of fun activities planned, such as predicting what is going to happen, pretending we are Emma Jane and writing a diary of her travels and we are going to be writing our own travel adventure story just like this one!
We are also going to be learning lots about sentences, grammar and punctuation, such as expanded noun phrases and using capital letters for proper nouns.
Work for English will be uploaded onto SeeSaw and Purple Mash. You will also find the relevant worksheets in your home learning packs and also below:
Past spelling sheets can be found below:
This half term we are going to continue learning all about addition and subtraction by following White Rose's Recovery Curriculum. We will be using what we have learned about numbers in the previous half term to help us to partition the numbers into tens and ones and add by partitioning. We will learn how to use numbers lines to help us subtract numbers from one another.
Here are some links to videos to help you:
Towards the end of this half term we will be focusing on money. We will learn what each coin and note represent and we will learn how to add coins together and how to calculate change.
Here are some links to videos to help you:
The document below explains how we will teach the children how to add, subtract, multiply and divide so you can support your child at home.
Please practise your number bonds to 10, 20 and 100 daily. Activity sheets can be found below:
Please also practise your 2, 5, 10 and 3 times tables every day.
https://www.timestables.co.uk/ is a great website filled with lots of fun times tables games!
Activity sheets can be found below:
During this half term we are going to be learning all about Everyday Materials and their Uses. We are going to be exploring all the different types of materials that can be found at home, their properties, what they are used for, where they come from and why they might be used for that particular purpose. We are also going to explore why some materials are not as good as others for certain jobs, such as why we don't have teddy bears made out of metal!
Here is a link to some videos that will help you learn all about materials:
Design and Technology
Here are some great Art ideas related to our topic, Travel and Transport that you can try at home!
- If you have some toy vehicles at home, and your parents/carers allow you to, why don't you paint their tyres and you can print their tracks?
- Why don't you use a camera and take some photographs of vehicles you can see outside? You can even try to take some up-close shots and upload them onto SeeSaw where we will try and guess what part of the vehicle they could be!
- Why don't you design your own vehicle? What parts would it have? What colours or patterns will it have? What can it do?
- See if you can draw a picture of your parents/carer's vehicle at home (if you have one), or choose one that you really like and upload your artwork to SeeSaw.
- Why don't you design your own town or city? What buildings will there be? What will the houses look like? What will the roads and vehicles look like?
Homework will be set online on Fridays using Purple Mash, MyMaths or SeeSaw and will be due in the following Friday.
Spellings will be set every Friday on this class page and children will have a spelling test the following Friday in school. Please learn these words and be a super speller!
Please ensure that your child continues to read at home every evening using the MyOn online library.
If you have lost your child's username or password for their online learning, please contact the school office:
Children must coming into school wearing their PE kit on the days that they have PE. Children in Swifts class will PE on Monday and Friday.
Year 2 Curriculum Map
Please click the 'download' button below to download the file.
Thank you for your on-going support.
If you have any questions or queries, please email the school office - firstname.lastname@example.org